[linux-elitists] What's wrong with PDF

Ben Finney ben@benfinney.id.au
Mon Nov 10 17:27:11 PST 2003

On 10-Nov-2003, Andrew wrote:
> > Someone who thinks HTML doesn't qualify as a reasonable method of
> > mixing text and graphics, necessitating PDF, _isn't_ a misplaced DTP
> > weenie?
>
> I've never seen any browser render the same document the same way in a
> cross-platform environment.

Hence "DTP weenie".  The idea that documents *should* always render
exactly the same is archaic, and applies not at all to the age of
electronic documents.  It implies that the restrictions of an outmoded
medium -- fixed-size printed pages -- should dictate the way users
interact with documents in electronic form.

When the medium necessitates fixed rendering (e.g. print), the PDF model
is a good one.  For documents that should be accessible to more than one
medium, it's horrible.

--
 \        "Somebody told me how frightening it was how much topsoil we |
  `\   are losing each year, but I told that story around the campfire |