[linux-elitists] What's wrong with PDF

Andrew akohlsmith-le@benshaw.com
Mon Nov 10 11:34:49 PST 2003

> PDF is great for converting to paper, if that's a goal.  For anything
> involving *reading the actual file*, it sucks charcoal.

Depends on the file.  If it's just text I would agree.  However if there is
any mix of text and graphics I think you'd be hard-pressed to find a better
alternative, especially if you have any chance of printing it.

> He's talking about it in the context of web sites, but the points are
> valid in this context also.

I disagree -- He blasts PDF and while he does have some good points, he
doesn't suggest any improvements or alternatives.  HTML is certainly not
one of them.

Regards,
Andrew