[linux-elitists] What's wrong with PDF

Adam Sampson azz@us-lot.org
Mon Nov 10 10:59:31 PST 2003

Tilghman Lesher <zgp-org@the-tilghman.com> writes:

> Well, there is one other advantage of PDF over plain text.  When you
> change the font face, font size, margins, or any other of the myriad
> formatting options in a plain text document, you generally lose the
> ability to request that someone look at "page 48, third paragraph, line
> 3" and expect that you'll find the same sentence as anybody else.

With a plain text document, you can always say "line 1234", and with
structured documents you can usually say "section 1.3". I don't
consider needing to deal with page numbers to be an advantage, and
probably won't until somebody buys me a monitor big enough to
comfortably view a full portrait A4 page at once.

--
Adam Sampson <azz@us-lot.org>                        <http://offog.org/>