[linux-elitists] (forw) [cAos] FHS 2.3

Mon Nov 10 08:30:44 PST 2003

On Mon, Nov 10, 2003 at 11:02:59AM -0500, Joey Hess wrote:
> Ben Finney wrote:
> >     - service-related data needs to go anywhere other than /var (or
> >       below)
>
> I would never put my subversion or cvs reporisitories or anything else
> of equivilant value in /var, but /home is not quite right either.
> There's no canoical location, surely an attempt to create one is a good
> thing.
>
> >     - removable media mounts need to go anywhere other than /mnt
>
> The linked bug report clearly explains that /mnt is already reserved for
> something entirely different, namely historic ad-hoc manual mounting of a
> single device by the sysadmin, and not automated mounting or as the root
> of a deeper tree of mount points.
>
> And it's a heck of a lot better than /cdrom, /floppy, /keychain, which I
> have on my current laptop.

Or the even more fun
/usbkey{1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,purple,polka-dot,brightorange}.  Many of us
have more than one USB key now, and I suspect this trend will only
continue to get worse.

--
 - Jason       Last known location:  11.0 miles northeast of MOUNTAIN VIEW, CA

There are three ways to get something done: do it yourself, hire
someone, or forbid your kids to do it.