[linux-elitists] (forw) [cAos] FHS 2.3

Joey Hess joey@kitenet.net
Mon Nov 10 08:02:59 PST 2003

Ben Finney wrote:
>     - service-related data needs to go anywhere other than /var (or
>       below)

I would never put my subversion or cvs reporisitories or anything else
of equivilant value in /var, but /home is not quite right either.
There's no canoical location, surely an attempt to create one is a good
thing.

>     - removable media mounts need to go anywhere other than /mnt

The linked bug report clearly explains that /mnt is already reserved for
something entirely different, namely historic ad-hoc manual mounting of a
single device by the sysadmin, and not automated mounting or as the root
of a deeper tree of mount points.

And it's a heck of a lot better than /cdrom, /floppy, /keychain, which I
have on my current laptop.

--
see shy jo