[linux-elitists] What's wrong with PDF

Michael Still mikal@stillhq.com
Mon Nov 10 01:37:07 PST 2003

On Mon, 10 Nov 2003, Ben Finney wrote:

> Only as seamless as the tool provides.  Since you are fine with needing
> special tools to read the document, why not compress using gzip and
> avoid all the other hassles of PDF?

Because the world is not solely populated with elitists, and at some point
solutions need to take into account the average, computer semi-literate,
user.

PDF fills a demand. That demand wouldn't exist if the majority of the
world thought plain text was suffient. I guess a similar arguement applies
to HTTP vs gopher.

Mikal

--

Michael Still (mikal@stillhq.com) | "All my life I've had one dream,