[linux-elitists] What's wrong with PDF

Ben Finney ben@benfinney.id.au
Sun Nov 9 23:06:48 PST 2003

On 10-Nov-2003, Michael Still wrote:
> On Sun, 9 Nov 2003, Rick Moen wrote:
> > Poorly legible on-screen, in practice impossible to adjust
> > typesizes, etc.  Also usually bloated in relation to the amount of
> > text present.
>
> Unless they turn on compression, which seemlessly gives you a text
> document which is smaller on disc than the plain ASCII text.

Only as seamless as the tool provides.  Since you are fine with needing
special tools to read the document, why not compress using gzip and
avoid all the other hassles of PDF?  Tools that support reading
gzip-compressed text are arguably much more numerous than those that
support reading compressed PDF.

IOW, compression is not an advantage of PDF, unless we also count it as
an advantage of plain text.  In which case, there's no net advantage on
this score.

--
 \     "It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it."  |
  `\                                                  -- Steven Wright |