[linux-elitists] (forw) [cAos] FHS 2.3

Michael Still mikal@stillhq.com
Sun Nov 9 21:59:10 PST 2003

On Sun, 9 Nov 2003, Rick Moen wrote:

> Quoting Jason Spence (jspence@lightconsulting.com):
>
> > What's your beef with PDF?
>
> Poorly legible on-screen, in practice impossible to adjust typesizes,
> etc.  Also usually bloated in relation to the amount of text present.

Unless they turn on compression, which seemlessly gives you a text
document which is smaller on disc than the plain ASCII text [1].

Mikal

1: Yes, ok. There are edge conditions. There is an object format wrapped
around the text, which means that you need to compress at least as much as
the object format takes to be ahead, but we're talking about only a few
100 bytes for a minimal text PDF. Because it's inside the format, muggins
users don't have to worry about the .gz format.

--

Michael Still (mikal@stillhq.com) | "All my life I've had one dream,
http://www.stillhq.com            |  to achieve my many goals"