[linux-elitists] What's wrong with PDF

Ben Finney ben@benfinney.id.au
Sun Nov 9 20:11:59 PST 2003

On 09-Nov-2003, Jason Spence wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 09, 2003 at 07:13:07PM -0800, Rick Moen wrote:
> > I'm _almost_ curious enough to deal with  PDF hassles, but not
> > quite.
>
> What's your beef with PDF?

PDF is great for converting to paper, if that's a goal.  For anything
involving *reading the actual file*, it sucks charcoal.

For something that is essentially a text document, distributing it as a
PDF is a pointless barrier to usability.  A very poor choice for a
standards document.

Jakob Nielsen, while he may say some bizarre things at times, is on the
money with regard to PDF usability:

    <http://www.useit.com/alertbox/20030714.html>

He's talking about it in the context of web sites, but the points are
valid in this context also.

--
 \        "I took it easy today. I just pretty much layed around in my |
  `\      underwear all day. ... Got kicked out of quite a few places, |