[linux-elitists] BFD and libiberty

Sun Nov 9 19:13:59 PST 2003

So I'm doing some work with BFD and friends to take programs apart and
construct call graphs and stuff like that.  Turns out that the
demangling stuff I want is in a binutils dependency called libiberty.
But the libiberty header doesn't include prototypes for the demangling
stuff in libiberty!  What's going on here?  Should I fix it for the
binutils guys, or is there some kind of historical reason for this?

Something else that's kind of bugging me is that libbfd requires you
to call bfd_check_format() on the target object and play guessing
games for each possible type before it'll fill out the rest of the bfd
structure so the other API calls don't crash when you pass them the
bfd.  As far as I can tell, that's the only way to get the rest of the
bfd filled out.  Is it just me, or is this actually as clunky as I
think it is?

--
 - Jason       Last known location:  11.0 miles northeast of MOUNTAIN VIEW, CA

If you've seen one redwood, you've seen them all.
		-- Ronald Reagan