[linux-elitists] (forw) [cAos] FHS 2.3

Sun Nov 9 19:03:45 PST 2003

On Sun, Nov 09, 2003 at 04:37:21PM -0800, Rick Moen wrote:
> /srv?  /media?  WTF?

I've wondered about this kind of thing in the past.  Usually I see
sites use /home/{service} or /var/{service}, but I've never seen two
different distributions agree on the specifics.  It's not just
aesthetics though - some distributions (BSD) have a dump(8) which
can't deal with requests like "stick everything below /home on this
backup set" if /home/ftp is a mount on top of /home.  So I either get
to recompile (and support) a new set of packages with a different set
of paths since the vendor decided to use /home/ftp, spend more time
installing, testing, and maintaining something like Arkeia which can
deal with it, or get an extra backup tape for each service given its
own physical volume.

I'm not sure that /srv is the optimal to this ambiguity, but if you're
into uniformity I think it's certainly an improvement.

I also feel the need to point out that I haven't heard many complaints
about the very non-traditional OS X filesystem layout from the BSD
users I've talked to who live in OS X now...

--
 - Jason       Last known location:  11.0 miles northeast of MOUNTAIN VIEW, CA

A Riverside, California, health ordinance states that two persons may
not kiss each other without first wiping their lips with carbolized
rosewater.