[linux-elitists] Performance issues with swap file vs. swap partition

Thu Nov 6 12:55:51 PST 2003

On Thu, Nov 06, 2003 at 12:48:13PM -0800, Nick Moffitt wrote:
> begin  Jason Spence  quotation:
> > Actually, the SATA II disks debuting early next year have the same
> > feature set (TCQ, hot-swap, disconnection, etc are mandatory in SATA
> > II) but are not expected to come out at SCSI price points.
>
> 	To compare SCSI-2 featuresets, you must also think in terms of
> SCSI-2 price points, not U160.

As far as I know, the spec which includes U160 only adds CRC, domain
validation, and the clocking spec necessary to get 160MB/sec.  Am I
missing something here?  I seem to recall someone in ANSI sneaking
some feature in that caused a bunch of people to complain about
something, but I can't remember what it was.

Anyway, the SATA protocol mandates the use of a block level CRC,
domain validation is unnecessary because the protocol is spoken at the
same speed as the disk transfers, and the DT stuff is unnecessary
because SATA is, well, serial.

--
 - Jason       Last known location:  11.0 miles northeast of MOUNTAIN VIEW, CA

Some programming languages manage to absorb change but withstand
progress.