[linux-elitists] Performance issues with swap file vs. swap partition

Thu Nov 6 12:42:50 PST 2003

On Thu, Nov 06, 2003 at 12:25:01PM -0800, Greg KH wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 06, 2003 at 11:54:27AM -0800, Jason Spence wrote:
> >
> > I'm seriously considering switching entirely to FreeBSD and Windows
> > for the duration of the next release cycle, since they both have the
> > support I need to do really weird stuff like hot swap PCI cards
>
> The 2.4 kernel support hot plug PCI, and so does the 2.6 kernel.  You
> just have to have the proper hardware to do this.  And the 2.6 kernel
> supports a "fake" pci hotplug driver to allow you to remove any pci
> device logically from the system.

I don't have the proper hardware, but by twiddling PCI conf bits using
the AML as a guide I can pretend I do :)

In all seriousness, those systems really ought to be proliants or
whatever with all the PCI hot swap stuff in the controller and the
chassis.  However, some of the people I admin these things for are
cheap bastards and so I have to be clever sometimes...

--
 - Jason       Last known location:  11.0 miles northeast of MOUNTAIN VIEW, CA

It is the business of little minds to shrink.
		-- Carl Sandburg