[linux-elitists] Performance issues with swap file vs. swap partition

Greg KH greg@kroah.com
Thu Nov 6 12:25:01 PST 2003

On Thu, Nov 06, 2003 at 11:54:27AM -0800, Jason Spence wrote:

> I'm seriously considering switching entirely to FreeBSD and Windows
> for the duration of the next release cycle, since they both have the
> support I need to do really weird stuff like hot swap PCI cards

The 2.4 kernel support hot plug PCI, and so does the 2.6 kernel.  You
just have to have the proper hardware to do this.  And the 2.6 kernel
supports a "fake" pci hotplug driver to allow you to remove any pci
device logically from the system.

greg k-h