[linux-elitists] Performance issues with swap file vs. swap partition

Nick Moffitt nick@zork.net
Thu Nov 6 11:17:05 PST 2003

begin  tek  quotation:
> I might also mention, adding the swap partition to the end of your
> drive should give you a little more speed since the partitions are
> setup from the inside of the disk spreading out.  Since the outside
> of the drive has the highest angular velocity your read write time
> should be faster.  I have been doing this little trick for quite
> some time now but i cant point out any numbers to verify it as i
> have never tested it out against adding the swap to the inside of
> the disk. Its one of those things i learned having come from the
> hardware world.  Tnt

	I was always advised to put the swap partition in the exact
middle of the disk, so that the head only ever has half the platter
radius to travel to get to precious swap data.  What if you're loading
blocks at the start of the disk, and then need to swap in code to
process them?

	-- Lewis Mumford

end