[linux-elitists] Performance issues with swap file vs. swap partition

Eugen Leitl eugen@leitl.org
Thu Nov 6 04:49:25 PST 2003

On Thu, Nov 06, 2003 at 01:28:14PM +0100, Ragnar Hojland Espinosa wrote:

> AFAIK, the performance difference on modern kernels is negligible.
> That said, if you have a swap partition on a separate IDE channel or
> SCSI disk, you won't starve the I/O bandwidth by swapping (which would
> probabily happen if you have a swap file..)

Speaking of more spindles, does SATA address the usual IDE problem (system
has response hiatus (keyboard, audio) during intense IDE activity)? Sure,
SCSI, I know, don't have the budget for that one at home. No way how I could
pay half a TByte worth of SCSI drives.

Is responsiveness visibly increased in general in the 2.6 kernel family (haven't run
one yet)?

(I mean, I don't expect hard realtime from a desktop/server OS, but even in
comparison to Darwin/OS X the usual Linux behaviour is terrible. Maybe my
systems so far have been pathological, so I'd be very grateful for
suggestions as how to fix them).

ICBM: 48.07078, 11.61144 http://www.leitl.org