[linux-elitists] SCO Call summary

Karsten M. Self kmself@ix.netcom.com
Fri May 30 10:48:52 PDT 2003

Following are my (very rough) notes from the call.  Most of this is
paraphrased, quotes are approximate.  Spirit should be close.

SCO will be making a recording available later today, though not,
apparently, online (can someone host this?).

Hope this informs some of you, and other journos here can check their
own recollections.

Highlights:

  - SCO is basing its claims under contract, not copyright or other
    patent rights.  These extend to source *and* derivatives.

  - SCO claims it has other rights, but its contract rights are broad,
    deep, and are "aces" rather than "sevens and fives".

  - SCO will begin showing allegedly infringed source under NDA next
    week (first week of June).  Will show "hundreds" of lines of
    infringed code.

  - Infringement claims relate to 2.4 and later kernels.  NB:  2.4 was
    released Jan,5, 2001.  SCO and Caldera merged August, 2000.

  - Stephen Vaughan Nichols (sp) asks good (last) question about the
    less than linear relationship between Caldera, SCO, and Linux,
    regarding Linux/Unix integration.  SCO's reply was largely
    nonresponsive on this point.

Call starts.

Speakers are Sonntag and another exec (Bench?)

Following is a statement from SCO.

Claims based on contract, not copyright.
Claims right to own copyright.  "View this as a desperate measure to
curry favor w/ Linux community".  Matter turned over to attorneys.

Text of SCO/Novell agreement part of earlier SEC filing, and is publicly
available.

SCO owns all rights and claims arising from all parties in rights to
unix/unixware.  Owns sublicing agreemtns including source code.

Total number of agrements:  30k.  Pulled from text of agreement.

Why actions focused on initial rights?

Owns license and licensing agreements.

Licensees include virtually all HW/SW vendors.  Large portion of F-2000
and worldwide companies.

Sublicensees have rights, obligations.  Includes standard of care.

Significant portions of SCO's unix rights extend not only to source but
to derivative products.  SCO has broad and deep rights.

Do not rule out subsequent enforcement on basis of copyright.

2nd question:  evidence of SCO code in Linux/Linux kernel.  "Resounding
yes".

Several groups researching this over past months, code, methods,
concepts "improperly donated" to Linux.

Limitations to what they can disclose.

Starting next week:  viewing opportunities under NDA to experts, press,
SW community.  Showing "tip of iceberg of evidence".

End statement.

Press *1 key to ask question.
Press # to remove question.

Q: Cooper-Beech capital.:  Novell claims...