[linux-elitists] Info on SCO Lawsuit

Karsten M. Self kmself@ix.netcom.com
Thu May 29 15:24:16 PDT 2003

on Thu, May 29, 2003 at 07:31:45PM +0100, Karsten M. Self (kmself@ix.netcom.com) wrote:
> on Thu, May 29, 2003 at 06:12:37AM -0700, Larry M. Augustin (lma@lmaugustin.com) wrote:
> > >Jonathan Corbet on Wednesday, May 28, 2003 5:34 PM wrote:
> > >What might we all be missing here?  What's going on that we're not seeing?
> > >Don's "third-hand information" explanation could well prove sufficient,
> > >I've not seen a better one.  But all this still makes me nervous.
> >
> > What's the downside for SCO?  Nothing.  They have nothing to lose.  What are
> > people going to do, stop buying their products?  People were already doing
> > that before the lawsuit.
> >
> > The most dangerous opponent in any endeavor, business included, is one who
> > has nothing to lose.  Their actions are not rational because they have
> > nothing to lose.  OTOH, the potential upside is huge.
>
> The curious part really is the number of firms with nothing to lose who
> end up tilting at windmills in a way that's surprisingly beneficial to
> Microsoft.  Wang and its patent suit against Netscape comes to mind, I
> believe there are others though I'm presently blanking.
>
> It would be awfully nice to find the strings to the puppetmaster rather
> than obsessing over the actions of the puppet.

Nick Petreley has taken this theme and run with it, fleshing it out
somewhat with other examples -- Apple, Netscape, Corel, as well as the
aformentioned Wang.  Oh, and by the way, Microsoft's settled with AOL
today for $750m cash.

    Petreley:  SCO-MSFT conspiracy
    http://www.linuxworld.com/2003/0527.petreley.html

    CNET:  Microsoft to pay AOL $750 million
    http://news.com.com/2100-1012_3-1011296.html

    As part of the deal, the two companies will drop pending litigation,
    including an antitrust complaint filed by AOL Time Warner's Netscape
    Communications unit in January 2002 against Microsoft. AOL also
    agreed to a seven-year royalty-free license of Microsoft's Internet
    Explorer browser.

In other interesting events, the EU antitrust ruling on Microsoft is
imminent -- first week of June according to notes I'd made a few weeks
back.  Interesting that Redmond doesn't seem concerned about taint with
this looming over them.

Peace.

   At the sound of the toner, boycott Lexmark:  trade restraint via DMCA.
    http://news.com.com/2100-1023-979791.html