[linux-elitists] Info on SCO Lawsuit

Karsten M. Self kmself@ix.netcom.com
Thu May 29 11:31:45 PDT 2003

on Thu, May 29, 2003 at 06:12:37AM -0700, Larry M. Augustin (lma@lmaugustin.com) wrote:
> >Jonathan Corbet on Wednesday, May 28, 2003 5:34 PM wrote:
> >What might we all be missing here?  What's going on that we're not seeing?
> >Don's "third-hand information" explanation could well prove sufficient,
> >I've not seen a better one.  But all this still makes me nervous.
>
> What's the downside for SCO?  Nothing.  They have nothing to lose.  What are
> people going to do, stop buying their products?  People were already doing
> that before the lawsuit.
>
> The most dangerous opponent in any endeavor, business included, is one who
> has nothing to lose.  Their actions are not rational because they have
> nothing to lose.  OTOH, the potential upside is huge.

The curious part really is the number of firms with nothing to lose who
end up tilting at windmills in a way that's surprisingly beneficial to
Microsoft.  Wang and its patent suit against Netscape comes to mind, I
believe there are others though I'm presently blanking.

It would be awfully nice to find the strings to the puppetmaster rather
than obsessing over the actions of the puppet.

Peace.

    A few years ago you could buy a CD, knowing that it was a standard
    product... Now, you...find that you can play it in your hi-fi, but
    not in your car.  Next time, you're not going to make that mistake,
    you'll just log on to Kazaa and download an MP3.
    -- Pete Chown, on why DRM promotes piracy.