[linux-elitists] Info on SCO Lawsuit

Michael Bacarella mbac@netgraft.com
Thu May 29 11:21:40 PDT 2003

> > Claim 7 sounds like it should be easy to throw out; the changelog
> > for Debian's apt starts in 1998.
>
> 	Apt is a modern powerful tool, but let's not forget that
> SuSE's installer did automated dependency resolution for the initial
> install back when apt was still being written.

Recently one of my clients invited me to serve as a technical
consult for a patent application.  Needless to say, I was appalled
at how laid back the entire process is.

Patent attorneys always claim that you need to do a search for
prior art before you submit a patent application, but no one
appears to take it seriously.  My guess is that prior art is
*never* searched for, or if any research is done at all, it consists
of checking against what's already on record with the USPTO.

For most companies, building patent portfolios is an exercise in BS.
Reassure investors who don't know better, scare off the little guys
who can't fight you, and leave it at that.

Why aren't companies severely penalized for neglecting to do serious
prior art searches?  If you need a good solution to the overworked
USPTO officers who don't appear to be catching anything anyway, that
would be it.  Why not even offer a reward for turning companies in?

*sigh*

--
Michael Bacarella                  24/7 phone: 646 641-8662
Netgraft Corporation                   http://netgraft.com/

Finger email address for public key.  Key fingerprint:
  C40C CB1E D2F6 7628 6308  F554 7A68 A5CF 0BD8 C055