[linux-elitists] Info on SCO Lawsuit

Matthew Galgoci mgalgoci@redhat.com
Thu May 29 10:22:26 PDT 2003

> Caldera, now SCO, has a new patent, but it doesn't seem to apply
> to anything in the kernel.  Patent number 6,529,784.  Date of
> application: February 29, 2000.  Date of grant: March 4, 2003.
>
> "Method and apparatus for monitoring computer systems and alerting
> users of actual or potential system errors"
>
> http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=/netahtml/search-bool.html&r=1&f=G&l=50&co1=AND&d=ptxt&s1=Caldera.ASNM.&OS=AN/Caldera&RS=AN/Caldera
>
> Remember, any prior art for this has to be before the application date.

There is probably a lot of prior art, but one in particular that sticks out
in my mind is the mon monitoring package:

http://www.kernel.org/software/mon/

Having used Mon since before Feb 29 2000, I can certainly suggest that it fits
the description.

--

Matthew Galgoci		"Dirty deeds, done dirt cheap"
System Administrator