[linux-elitists] Info on SCO Lawsuit

Don Marti dmarti@zgp.org
Thu May 29 07:33:23 PDT 2003

begin Jonathan Corbet quotation of Wed, May 28, 2003 at 06:33:48PM -0600:

> But it's also bizarre and disturbing.  What little sense I've picked up
> over my years tells me that, when somebody who should know better seems to
> be acting in irrational ways, chances are good that I've missed something
> important.

Caldera, now SCO, has a new patent, but it doesn't seem to apply
to anything in the kernel.  Patent number 6,529,784.  Date of
application: February 29, 2000.  Date of grant: March 4, 2003.

"Method and apparatus for monitoring computer systems and alerting
users of actual or potential system errors"

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=/netahtml/search-bool.html&r=1&f=G&l=50&co1=AND&d=ptxt&s1=Caldera.ASNM.&OS=AN/Caldera&RS=AN/Caldera

Remember, any prior art for this has to be before the application date.

Claim 7 sounds like it should be easy to throw out; the changelog
for Debian's apt starts in 1998.

7. A method of recursively checking the dependency of a software
package, the method comprising:

identifying a first item upon which the software package depends
directly;

identifying a second item upon which the software package depends
indirectly;

repeating the steps of identifying the first item and identifying
the second item until substantially all items upon which the software
package depends have been identified.

--
Don Marti
http://zgp.org/~dmarti