[linux-elitists] Info on SCO Lawsuit

Lance Simmons lance@lsimmons.net
Wed May 28 17:54:57 PDT 2003

On Wed, May 28, 2003 at 06:33:48PM -0600, Jonathan Corbet wrote:

> The tanks are circling their building, and they are blustering about
> suing Linus for infringing patents that they don't have.

Some people on Slashdot listened to today's SCO shareholder's conference
call, and reported the gist of what was said.  If I understood
correctly, SCO's position is that while it is true that the IBM suit in
particular is primarily about contracts and not about copyrights and
patents, nonetheless SCO continues to believe, based on work by its
panels of experts, that it has the copyrights and patents it's been
saying it has, and SCO sent out the threatening letters and press
releases on the basis of that belief.

That's my crude summary of what some guys on Slashdot said about what
the SCO guy said today on a conference call.  I hope the people are
right who say SCO's claims are baseless.

--
Lance Simmons
Irving, Texas