[linux-elitists] Info on SCO Lawsuit

Jonathan Corbet corbet-elite@lwn.net
Wed May 28 17:33:48 PDT 2003

> Can this possibly become any more comic-opera?

You know, it *is* a comic opera, and it's screwing up my work.  It's hard
to get anything done when you're laughing too hard to operate your
keyboard.

But it's also bizarre and disturbing.  What little sense I've picked up
over my years tells me that, when somebody who should know better seems to
be acting in irrational ways, chances are good that I've missed something
important.  Often that something makes itself apparent when it bites me on
the ass (even then I can miss it, but that's just me).  Here, people in
positions of fiduciary responsibility would appear to be behaving like
raving whackos on bad acid.  The "compare them to the Iraqi information
minister" joke has been rather overused, to say the least, but it fits
here.  The tanks are circling their building, and they are blustering about
suing Linus for infringing patents that they don't have.  I cannot imagine
what they think they are going to accomplish.

What might we all be missing here?  What's going on that we're not seeing?
Don's "third-hand information" explanation could well prove sufficient,
I've not seen a better one.  But all this still makes me nervous.

jon