[linux-elitists] Info on SCO Lawsuit

Ben Woodard ben@zork.net
Wed May 28 10:56:35 PDT 2003

On Wed, 2003-05-28 at 07:57, Jonathan Corbet wrote:
> >   I'm having a hard time keeping up to date on the whole SCO v IBM
> > lawsuit. Wouldn't anyone happen to know of a webpage that lists all that
> > archives all the developments in the lawsuit?
>
> We don't have a page as such, but searching for "SCO" on LWN gives a
> reasonable, time-sorted list of articles.  Similar results can probably be
> had on Linux Today or NewsForge.
>
> I'm still trying to figure out what to make of today's developments.  SCO
> now says that the suit isn't about patents or copyrights, it's a simple
> breach of contract action.  How that fits in with the 1500 FUD letters is
> not all that clear to me.

Since according to SCO it doesn't have to do with copyright or patents
and it is only about an alleged breach of contract between them and IBM
that would seem to indemnify all the other linux distributors who never
ever signed a contract with SCO.

On the other hand, it could be that they are referring specifically to
software that was developed in cooperation with IBM for project
Monterey.

Does anyone know what the legal standard for proof of authorship is? For
example, say Don and I are working together on an article and we have a
fight and decide that we cannot work together but we both end up writing
articles on the original subject matter. If segments of the article end
up being the same, how do we prove in a court of law that we were in
fact the original author of a specified chunk of text? The only two
analogies that I can think of are child custody cases (very messy) and
sillier cases like the credits for old Beatles songs.

-ben