Correction WRT licensing (was Re: [linux-elitists] "Microsoft to license Unix code")

Karsten M. Self kmself@ix.netcom.com
Tue May 20 15:37:07 PDT 2003

on Mon, May 19, 2003 at 07:31:18PM +0100, Karsten M. Self (kmself@ix.netcom.com) wrote:
> on Mon, May 19, 2003 at 06:11:35PM +1000, Jeff Waugh (jdub@perkypants.org) wrote:
> > So,
> >
> > I don't think this changes much, but it's an interesting data point. Well,
> > apart from being good media fodder for SCO and MS.
> >
> >   http://www.zdnet.com.au/newstech/os/story/0,2000048630,20274643,00.htm
>
> Anyone got a dollar figure on that deal?  I seem to recall $200m, but
> don't see that anywhere.
>
> Some speculation has been that IBM could extend this case out five years
> or more, well beyond the limits of SCO's current burn rate.  I believe
> this was in the "ESR to join IBM in SCO fight" article posted to Linux
> and Main...which appears to have been pulled now.
>
> If Microsoft has paid $200m, this provides SCO with roughly five years
> revenues at current burn rates, or enough to extend this fight into the
> forseable future.  At least through the Longhorn release.

Seattle P-I, in an otherwise execrable article ("Unix, a faded rival" to
Windows...), informs us that the deal is valued at $10-20m.  Less than
I'd indicated above, but still substantial compared with SCO's recent
earnings.

    http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/business/122709_caldera20.html

I'd suggest a cluestick squad be dispatched to Dan Richman:

    danrichman@seattlepi.com
    Phone contact listed with article.

Peace.

   A guide to GNU/Linux books: