[linux-elitists] "Microsoft to license Unix code"

Karsten M. Self kmself@ix.netcom.com
Mon May 19 11:31:18 PDT 2003

on Mon, May 19, 2003 at 06:11:35PM +1000, Jeff Waugh (jdub@perkypants.org) wrote:
> So,
>
> I don't think this changes much, but it's an interesting data point. Well,
> apart from being good media fodder for SCO and MS.
>
>   http://www.zdnet.com.au/newstech/os/story/0,2000048630,20274643,00.htm

Anyone got a dollar figure on that deal?  I seem to recall $200m, but
don't see that anywhere.

Some speculation has been that IBM could extend this case out five years
or more, well beyond the limits of SCO's current burn rate.  I believe
this was in the "ESR to join IBM in SCO fight" article posted to Linux
and Main...which appears to have been pulled now.

If Microsoft has paid $200m, this provides SCO with roughly five years
revenues at current burn rates, or enough to extend this fight into the
forseable future.  At least through the Longhorn release.

Peace.

    "Eccentrica Gallumbits, did you ever meet her? The triple-breasted
    whore of Eroticon Six. Some people say her erogenous zones start
    some four miles from her actual body. Me, I disagree, I say five."
    -- HHGTG