[linux-elitists] "Microsoft to license Unix code"

Don Marti dmarti@zgp.org
Mon May 19 08:18:09 PDT 2003

begin Karsten M. Self quotation of Mon, May 19, 2003 at 03:54:32PM +0100:

> > I don't think this changes much, but it's an interesting data point. Well,
> > apart from being good media fodder for SCO and MS.
> >
> >   http://www.zdnet.com.au/newstech/os/story/0,2000048630,20274643,00.htm
> >
> > Thoughts?
>
> Brad Smith is a lizard.

SCO also used the "P" word and didn't cite the patent number:
http://ir.sco.com/ReleaseDetail.cfm?ReleaseID=109360

I don't know of any SCO patents:
http://www.ssc.com/pipermail/atc/2003-March/000034.html

(Technology journalism would be a much better field if reporters got
into the habit of insisting on patent numbers the same way as they
insist on spelling people's names right.  But I digress.)

Last time I asked them about what patents they actually hold they
took a while to get back to me, so I don't know how long they'll
take to give me a number here.

Quote of the day:
"Our model is to innovate, give back, and innovate again."
-- Ransom Love
   August 2000

Don Marti                  Even if we don't get DMCA reform, loudly
http://zgp.org/~dmarti     demanding DMCA reform is going to get the
dmarti@zgp.org             injustice of the DMCA in front of the next
KG6INA                     jury.  Make noise.  It counts.