[linux-elitists] "Microsoft to license Unix code"

Karsten M. Self kmself@ix.netcom.com
Mon May 19 07:54:32 PDT 2003

on Mon, May 19, 2003 at 06:11:35PM +1000, Jeff Waugh (jdub@perkypants.org) wrote:
> So,
>
> I don't think this changes much, but it's an interesting data point. Well,
> apart from being good media fodder for SCO and MS.
>
>   http://www.zdnet.com.au/newstech/os/story/0,2000048630,20274643,00.htm
>
> Thoughts?

Brad Smith is a lizard.  He's been Microsoft's apologist on several NPR
"Talk of the Nation" segments.  Always getting ten minutes of
white-glove treatment from then-host Juan Williams, with no callers or
caller questions allowed, and only softball questions from Williams.  I
wrote several responses to the program castigating it for this behavior,
contrasting it with the PBS News Hours' interview of Steve Ballmer in
2000 by Jim Lehrer, which was excellent (answer the question, Steve, or
I'll ask it again, and again...).  Among many reasons Juan was rightly
booted from the show, though far later than it should have happened.

News Hour segment:

    http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/cyberspace/jan-june00/ballmer_6-12.html

Note Smith's quote that acquiring the license from SCO "is representative
of Microsoft's ongoing commitment to respecting intellectual property
and the IT community's healthy exchange of IP through licensing."  This
is more MSFT "EULA good, GPL bad" propaganda.  It's also something SCO
can point to as justifying the valuation of the $1b suit against IBM.
The counter-risk is that Microsoft risks all-out war by IBM, or at least
a significantly cooled relationship.

Many people have speculated that Microsoft might have been behind SCO's
moves, but there was little direct evidence that they were.  The
acknowledgement is now open.  This is IMO brazen -- Microsoft is either
as desperate as SCO, or feels it has nothing to fear from either US or
EU courts (the EU final settlement is due in the second week of June).

Peace.

   zIWETHEY: Provocative, super smart, and oh yeah, just a little sexy.
     http://z.iwethey.org/forums/