[linux-elitists] Re: quotes from the leaders

Jeff Kinz jkinz@kinz.org
Fri May 16 09:32:38 PDT 2003

On Fri, May 16, 2003 at 09:23:08AM -0400, Mark Stillwell wrote:
> Suppose for a moment that the kernel does contain code which infringes
> on SCO's copyrights.  It would seem to me that everyone except for the
> (hypothetical) developers who contributed the infringing code and
> possibly their employer acted in good faith.  The linux community would be as
> much a victim as SCO.  I would think that under these circumstances any
> reasonable judge would just give the community some sort of time limit to
> remove the infringing code.  I wouldn't think that redhat or any of the linux
> companies would be liable for anything unless SCO could prove that they
> knew the code was infringing.
>
> Does anyone understand why SCO is being so secretive about which parts
> of the kernel supposedly contain their IP?

As soon as SCO reveals exactly which code segments "belong" to them
the Linux development community will be engaged in a furious competition
for the status to be attained by being the person who replaces that code
with non-infringing code.

It will take longer than ten minutes, but I doubt it will take longer than ten
days.

In terms of lawsuit time frames, the excising of the alledgedly infringing
code will be instantaneous.  I think SCO understands that as soon as they
reveal what code they are claiming, that the infringement, if any, will be
removed.  Therefore they want to not reveal it untill the latest possible
moment, to continue accruing damages.

I would gladly accept a performance or feature hit in Linux just to be free
of these claims.

--
Jeff Kinz, Open-PC, Emergent Research,  Hudson, MA.  jkinz@kinz.org
copyright 2003.  Use is restricted. Any use is an