[linux-elitists] quotes from the leaders

Martin Pool mbp@samba.org
Thu May 15 18:20:40 PDT 2003

On 16 May 2003, Jeff Waugh <jdub@perkypants.org> wrote:
> <quote who="Matthew Galgoci">
>
> > I really got a kick out of this page:
> >
> > http://www.sco.com/scosource/quotes_from_leaders.html
>
> What an odd bunch of quotes. None of them seem to be damning except for the
> first one (which is contextually suspect). They could have got some real
> pearlers if they'd wanted to.

This is consistent with their campaign being more about FUD than law.
They seem to be trying hard to confuse "Linux is a clone/workalike/
reinvention of Unix", which is true but legal, with "Linux contains
our crappy code", which would be illegal if true.

The quotes from the complaint show that IBM was trying to move to
Linux from Unix, but that's hardly a secret and not illegal.

ESR's demolition is really great, except for the libertarian asides
which I think are not helpful for the target audience.

I don't think the Gartner report is particularly favourable to SCO,
although I suppose it's more friendly than anything else that's being
written.

It's worth remembering (and reminding people concerned about this)
that a very similar thing occurred recently with developers on
Microsoft's SQL Server platform being left exposed to patent lawsuits,
despite assurance from Microsoft that they were protected.

I'm not sure that open source software is qualitatively more risky to
users than proprietary software.  At least with open source, users
have (in principle) the ability to examine or remove the alledgedly
infringing code.

--
Martin