[linux-elitists] [mds@hsmds2.prnewswire.com: SCO Suspends Distribution of Linux Pending Intellectual Property...]

Alan DuBoff aland@SoftOrchestra.com
Thu May 15 11:46:48 PDT 2003

On Thursday 15 May 2003 11:32, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> Not strictly true.  The GPL made it to court in a case in the past
> couple of years, but the judge told the parties to work it out among
> themselves.
>
> Moglen, OTOH, would be pheared in court.

It has still not been proven to stand up in court or not. Court is a funny or
not so funny place to be depending on how the judge rules. The good guys
don't always win, and much of what is decided is based on history from years
ago.

No matter what the Linux community feels about SCO, they have documented and
have been able to base a case around, and what could be very damaging to IBM
and/or other parties that it would set precidence to if they can win.

I'm glad it was IBM they chose to go after, because IBM can stand up to the
challenge...but they've got a lot to explain to wiggle out of it, at least if
there is fact to the comments from the complaint that are listed on SCO's
website.

You can be certain the IBM legal weanies are not patting Mills on the back
and telling him what a fine job he's done...

--

Alan DuBoff
Software Orchestration, Inc.