[linux-elitists] [mds@hsmds2.prnewswire.com: SCO Suspends Distribution of Linux Pending Intellectual Property...]

Shawn McMahon smcmahon@eiv.com
Thu May 15 05:38:07 PDT 2003

On Wed, May 14, 2003 at 02:09:21PM -0700, Don Marti said:

> ----- Forwarded message from mds@hsmds2.prnewswire.com -----
>
>     LINDON, Utah, May 14 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ --
> The SCO(R) Group (SCO)(Nasdaq: SCOX), the owner of the UNIX operating system,
> today warned that Linux is an unauthorized derivative of UNIX and that legal
> liability for the use of Linux may extend to commercial users.  SCO issued
> this alert based on its findings of illegal inclusions of SCO UNIX
> intellectual property in Linux.  The company also indicated that until the
> attendant risks with Linux are better understood and properly resolved, the
> company will suspend all of its future sales of the Linux operating system.

Richard M. Stallman immediately declared their legal papers null and
void, as they used the terms "intellectual property", "users", and
"Linux operating system", instead of the more accurate "theft",
"oppressed workers", and "GNU/Linux operating system".  Chuckie the
BSD daemon could not be reached for comment[1].

[1] Well, they reached him, but he was laughing too hard to be
understood.

--
Shawn McMahon     | Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill,
EIV Consulting    | that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any