[linux-elitists] Handheld computer - as free as can be

billy@damaged-world.net billy@damaged-world.net
Wed May 14 23:29:38 PDT 2003

On Wed, May 14, 2003 at 04:58:12PM +0100, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> on Tue, May 13, 2003 at 10:32:42PM -0700, billy@damaged-world.net (billy@damaged-world.net) wrote:
> > On Tue, May 13, 2003 at 08:06:42PM +0100, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> > >     charged $5,700 per year for the same service. If the hope was that DBT
> > >     would enable Florida to exclude more voters, then the state appears to
> > >     have spent its money wisely.
> > > I can never remember, is it the truth, or work, that makes one free?
> > 	So you're saying that it's a problem to prevent people who are
> > 	constitutionally ineligible to vote from voting?

> They're not.  If you want the full story, it's in Palast's _The Best
> Democracy Money Can Buy_, or if you don't care to reward excellent
> investigative journalism, probably elsewhere via Google.
> Felony conviction does not disenfranchise individuals in many cases.

	In *MOST* cases a felony conviction disenfranchises someone.
	However getting ones franchise *back* is much easier than
	getting other rights back. (

> > 	What? There *WERE*? Many counties simply refused to use the
> > 	purge rosters because of their inaccuracy. Letters went out to
> > 	the alleged felons telling them of their status change
> > 	(assuredly not all got there).
> Arguing from ignorance is bliss?

	No, I'm saying that letters were sent in many cases (i.e. the
	attempt was made to contact many who were dropped) and that in
	some (few, several, many) counties the lists were not used
	because of errors.

	I'm not arguing that shit wasn't fucked up. It's always fucked
	up. It's fucked up everywhere. Its just that not nearly as many
	people got screwed in this one as is being claimed by some
	groups.

> Um.  The company was pretty convincingly specifically instructed to make
> sure it "fucked up".  One of Palasts principle informants worked in the
> Florida Governer's office, and provided specific examples, and
> documentation, of how this was done.
> If you're doubting Palast's veracity:  I was unaware of him until early

	After the scandals in academia and the "real" media (Bellesiles,
	Glass, Jayson Blair ...) over the last couple years there are
	very, very few people who's veracity I do trust.

> this year, though I've found he was interviewd on KQED FM's "Forum"
> program, and WNYC's "On the Media" (the latter is an excellent media
> watchdog program airing in the dead zone of 2pm Sunday afternoon here in
> SF).

	Funny, excellent media watchdog *USUALLY* means "Likes to cream
	Fox and the Christian Science Monitor, but gives Reuters and the
	Conciliatory News Network a Pass".

	Sorry, that doesn't play here over on the rational right.

	I don't trust CNN. I don't trust Fox. I don't trust NBC, CBS or
	ABC, and I most certain will NOT trust National Propaganda Radio
	or the Propaganda Broadcasting System.

> Reading Palast is the first time I've felt, in the USofA, that I held in
> my hands subversive literature.  It's a scary feeling.

	Then you need to read more.

> closer than I'd care to admit.  Free software is also fundamentally
> about intellectual freedom and honesty,

	Maybe for you. Personally I can be intellectually free and
	honest even using my Macintosh or my Windows machine.

	The attitude of most OSS types and the general public
	towards MP3s demonstrates exactly where they stand on
	intellectual freedom and honesty.

	And no, I have *never* downloaded an MP3 that the *artist* did
	not make avalaible.

	Most people *today* use free software because (1) Commercial
	software is *WAY* too expensive for the quality it provides, and
	(2) OSS is easy.

	Hell, I'll bet %50 of the OSS users have /unlicensed versions of
	commercial software/ installed in their homes or offices.

> it's tremendously subversive in
> its own way (it's also tremendously pragmatic, which is one of the
> reasons it's grown despite its other characteristics).  I don't believe
> these attributes are seperable.

	We can agree on the pragmatic aspects. It gets used because it's
	cheaper. People work on it because they *need* it.

--
[rock] "is sung, played, and written for the most part by cretinous goons. By
means of its almost imbecilic reiteration it manages to be the martial music