[linux-elitists] [mds@hsmds2.prnewswire.com: SCO Suspends Distribution of Linux Pending Intellectual Property...]

Don Marti dmarti@zgp.org
Wed May 14 19:35:38 PDT 2003

Played a little guessing game with Chris Sontag today regarding
the alleged code copied from UnixWare.  Yes, he's willing to say
more than the "intellectual property" folderol and finally claim
straightforwardly there's deliberately obfuscated UnixWare source
in Linux.  The kernel.  The official kernel.  Like on kernel.org.
(I was very sure to pin him down on that.)

There is "signficant copyrighted and trade secret code within Linux".

"It's all over the place".

No answers regarding which subsystems have it, or dates it got there.
Or which contributors were associated with it.

He does say that alleded infringing code got into the kernel both before
and after IBM began contributing, but won't give me a date when the
alleged copying started.

Is it just that both Linux and UnixWare are borrowing from BSD?

"We specifically excluded the BSD-derived code."

He made a big deal about SCO's profitability, probably to keep me
from using the "doomed company spends last dollar on lottery ticket"
angle which others have already beat to death and I wasn't going to
use anyway.  Anyway, a story on this -- with a better angle -- should
be on the linuxjournal.com site soon, if the cron daemon cooperates.

If half of what Sontag says is right, there are kernel developers
perpetrating not just copyright infringement, but academic
dishonesty and plagiarism.

<ianal>If Sontag is lying, the kernel developers have a good basis
for a libel suit.</ianal>

--
Don Marti                  Even if we don't get DMCA reform, loudly
http://zgp.org/~dmarti     demanding DMCA reform is going to get the