[linux-elitists] [mds@hsmds2.prnewswire.com: SCO Suspends Distribution of Linux Pending Intellectual Property...]

Don Marti dmarti@zgp.org
Wed May 14 14:09:21 PDT 2003

Me: So what do you mean by "intellectual property" here?

It has to do with the actual source code.

Me: In the kernel?

In the kernel.

(Now trying to get someone quotable.)

----- Forwarded message from mds@hsmds2.prnewswire.com -----

Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 16:31:24 -0400
From: mds@hsmds2.prnewswire.com
Subject: SCO Suspends Distribution of Linux Pending Intellectual Property...
To: mds@hsmds2.prnewswire.com

       SCO Suspends Distribution of Linux Pending Intellectual Property
                                Clarification;

              Announces Greater Focus on UNIX and SCOx Strategy

 SCO Suspends Sales of Linux, Alerts Customers That Linux Is an Unauthorized
  Derivative of UNIX and That Legal Liability May Extend to Commercial Users

 SCO Reaffirms Commitment to SCOx, SCO's Growth Strategy Through Web Services

    LINDON, Utah, May 14 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ --
The SCO(R) Group (SCO)(Nasdaq: SCOX), the owner of the UNIX operating system,
today warned that Linux is an unauthorized derivative of UNIX and that legal
liability for the use of Linux may extend to commercial users.  SCO issued
this alert based on its findings of illegal inclusions of SCO UNIX
intellectual property in Linux.  The company also indicated that until the
attendant risks with Linux are better understood and properly resolved, the
company will suspend all of its future sales of the Linux operating system.
    (Photo:  http://www.newscom.com/cgi-bin/prnh/19990421/SCOLOGO )
    "SCO is taking this important step because there are intellectual property
issues with Linux," said Chris Sontag, senior vice president and general
manager of SCOsource, The SCO Group.  "When SCO's own UNIX software code is
being illegally copied into Linux, we believe we have an obligation to educate
commercial users of the potential liability that could rest with them for
using such software to run their business.  We feel so strongly about this
issue that we are suspending sales and distribution of SCO Linux until these
issues are resolved."
    SCO will continue to support existing SCO Linux and Caldera OpenLinux
customers and hold them harmless from any SCO intellectual property issues
regarding SCO Linux and Caldera OpenLinux products.
    Going forward, SCO will have a stronger focus on UNIX and the company's
growth strategy around Web services, SCOx.  The company introduced SCOx in
April as the company's Web services framework and plans to introduce new Web
services applications from third party developers in August at SCO Forum, the
company's annual conference.
    "SCO remains committed to servicing our customers and as such, we intend
to continue our growth strategy around SCOx -- the Web services framework for
small-to-medium businesses and branch offices," said Darl McBride, president
and CEO, The SCO Group.
    In a separate announcement released today, SCO gave guidance on expected
results for its 2nd fiscal quarter.  The company expects to report net income
of $4.0 million on revenue of $21 million.
    In addition, SCO today also posted an analyst report from Gartner to their
Web site at www.sco.com/scosource entitled, "SCO Lawsuit Sends a Warning to
Linux IS Shops."  The executive summary of the report asks whether Linux is
safe from encumbrances.

    About The SCO Group
    The SCO Group (Nasdaq: SCOX) helps millions of customers in more than
82 countries to grow their businesses everyday.  Headquartered in Lindon,
Utah, SCO has a worldwide network of more than 11,000 resellers and
8,000 developers.  SCO Global Services provides reliable localized support and
services to all partners and customers.  For more information on SCO products
and services visit http://www.sco.com .

    SCO and the associated SCO logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of
Caldera International, Inc. in the U.S. and other countries.  UNIX, used under
an exclusive license, is a registered trademark of The Open Group in the
United States and other countries.  Linux is a registered trademark of Linus
Torvalds.  All other brand or product names are or may be trademarks of their
respective owners.

SOURCE  The SCO Group
    -0-                             05/14/2003
    /CONTACT:  Blake Stowell, +1-801-932-5703, bstowell@sco.com , or Paul
Hatch, +1-801-932-5811, phatch@sco.com , both of The SCO Group; or Dave Close
or Avi Dines of Schwartz Communications, +1-781-684-0770,
sco@schwartz-pr.com , for The SCO Group/
    /Photo:  NewsCom:  http://www.newscom.com/cgi-bin/prnh/19990421/SCOLOGO
              AP Archive:  http://photoarchive.ap.org
              PRN Photo Desk, +1-888-776-6555 or +1-212-782-2840/
    /Web site:  http://www.sco.com/scosource /
    /Web site:  http://www.sco.com /
    (SCOX)