[linux-elitists] Handheld computer - as free as can be

billy@damaged-world.net billy@damaged-world.net
Tue May 13 22:41:13 PDT 2003

On Tue, May 13, 2003 at 10:24:08PM -0700, Rick Moen wrote:
> Quoting billy@damaged-world.net (billy@damaged-world.net):
> > While there were problems with the voter roll purges
> > (proprietary software, a complete opaque system &&etc), post
> > election investigation showed that the "police road blocks"
> > thing was a total canard--the closest roadblock to a polling
> > place was a drunk driving checkpoint over a mile away.
> This account is at odds with what local police _themselves_ said,
> as quoted in a January 2001 BBC News story:
>    Police patrol officials have denied accusations that they set up
>    roadblocks to intimidate black voters. They said the roadblocks were
>    a spur-of-the-moment safety measure, not authorised by higher
>    officers, which were not intended to scare anyone away from the
>    polls.
> You say the roadblocks didn't exist; the police say they were benign
> and just one of those funny-ha-ha coincidences.  How 'bout the two of
> you get together and work out a consistent story?

	I guess RTFM is too much work for you?

	Where in:

"police road blocks" thing was a total canard--the closest
roadblock to a polling place was a drunk driving checkpoint
over a mile away.

	Do I deny roadblocks happening?

	And the Beeb is, well, not much better than the CNN or the NYT.

--
"Fiat justitia et ruat caelum"
(Let justice be done though the heavens fall.)