[linux-elitists] Handheld computer - as free as can be

billy@damaged-world.net billy@damaged-world.net
Tue May 13 22:32:42 PDT 2003

On Tue, May 13, 2003 at 08:06:42PM +0100, Karsten M. Self wrote:
>     In November the U.S. media, lost in patriotic reverie, dressed up the
>     Florida recount as a victory for President Bush. But however one reads

	They did? Shit, I must been on a differnet fucking planet.

>     the ballots, Bush's win would certainly have been jeopardized had not
>     some Floridians been barred from casting ballots at all. Between May
>     1999 and Election Day 2000, two Florida secretaries of state - Sandra
>     Mortham and Katherine Harris, both protégées of Governor Jeb Bush-
>     ordered 57,700 "ex-felons," who are prohibited from voting by state
>     law, to be removed from voter rolls. (In the thirty-five states where
>     former felons can vote, roughly 90 percent vote Democratic.) A portion
>     of the list, which was compiled for Florida by DBT Online, can be seen
>     for the first time here; DBT, a company now owned by ChoicePoint of
>     Atlanta, was paid $4.3 million for its work, replacing a firm that
>     charged $5,700 per year for the same service. If the hope was that DBT
>     would enable Florida to exclude more voters, then the state appears to
>     have spent its money wisely.
> I can never remember, is it the truth, or work, that makes one free?

	So you're saying that it's a problem to prevent people who are
	constitutionally ineligible to vote from voting?

	Note that no where in the quoted material does it state or
	alledge (which is the crux of the matter) that there were people
	*WRONGLY* purged. If that was indeed the case (and it appears to
	have been) then there should have been avenues for redress...

	What? There *WERE*? Many counties simply refused to use the
	purge rosters because of their inaccuracy. Letters went out to
	the alleged felons telling them of their status change
	(assuredly not all got there).

	Every state, with the possible exception of Illinois, purges
	it's voter rolls from time to tome. Most states either prohibit
	felons from voting, or require them to jump through one hoop or
	another to get their franchise back. In this case Florida (which
	implemented this because of massive voter fraud) hired a company
	that fucked up.

--
"...Being shot out of a cannon will always be better
than being squeezed out of a tube.