[linux-elitists] Handheld computer - as free as can be

Karsten M. Self kmself@ix.netcom.com
Tue May 13 12:06:42 PDT 2003

on Tue, May 13, 2003 at 11:31:59AM -0500, Ed Carp (erc@pobox.com) wrote:
> On Tue, 13 May 2003, Rick Moen wrote:
>
> > Quoting Ed Carp (erc@pobox.com):
> >
> > > How is this not completely unrelated to the topic?  Ejecting black voters
> > > has nothing to do with the Constitution!
> >
> > Unfortunately, ejecting Florida from the Union is not yet provided for by
> > the Constitution.  It will be necessary to pass an enabling amendment.
>
> Well, since i live in Florida at the moment, I might have something to say
> about that!  But I still don't understand your objections!  Blck voters
> weren't disenfranchised in the 2000 election, if that's what you're
> implying.

    http://www.gregpalast.com/detail.cfm?artid=122&row=1

    In November the U.S. media, lost in patriotic reverie, dressed up the
    Florida recount as a victory for President Bush. But however one reads
    the ballots, Bush's win would certainly have been jeopardized had not
    some Floridians been barred from casting ballots at all. Between May
    1999 and Election Day 2000, two Florida secretaries of state - Sandra
    Mortham and Katherine Harris, both protégées of Governor Jeb Bush-
    ordered 57,700 "ex-felons," who are prohibited from voting by state
    law, to be removed from voter rolls. (In the thirty-five states where
    former felons can vote, roughly 90 percent vote Democratic.) A portion
    of the list, which was compiled for Florida by DBT Online, can be seen
    for the first time here; DBT, a company now owned by ChoicePoint of
    Atlanta, was paid $4.3 million for its work, replacing a firm that
    charged $5,700 per year for the same service. If the hope was that DBT
    would enable Florida to exclude more voters, then the state appears to
    have spent its money wisely.

I can never remember, is it the truth, or work, that makes one free?

Peace.

    "Nothing at all," intoned Marvin dismally, "not an electronic sausage."
    -- HHGTG