[linux-elitists] Handheld computer - as free as can be

Jeff Kinz jkinz@kinz.org
Tue May 13 08:02:04 PDT 2003

On Tue, May 13, 2003 at 10:40:07AM -0400, Shawn McMahon wrote:
> On Tue, May 13, 2003 at 10:13:16AM -0400, Jeff Kinz said:
> >
> > hmm - My data shows that clinton got a much higher percentage of the popular
> > vote then bush Sr.  Bush Sr  38%,  Clinton 43%,  Perot 19% (WOW!)
>
> You aren't wrong.  But this doesn't refute what I said, which is that
> Clinton won because he won the electoral college, not because of direct
> popular vote, which has NEVER been how we decide these things.

True - my only point was Clinton did  get more of the popular vote
which makes the electoral college result conform to the popular result.

That and I would like to get a dog.

> > But I vote, so I have the right to complain.  (natter natter matter... :-)
>
> Sure; but claiming a man wasn't elected because the Supreme Court ruled
> that the Constitution of the US and the Constitution of Florida had to

That wasn't me.  But I do think that the electoral college should be replaced
by a straight popular vote, sometimes -

Then I think about how that would completely disenfrachise the rural
portions of the US (Most of us live in very dense urban/suburban areas
on the coasts),

So the next idea is - Ok a popular vote state by state, where each state
gets one vote based how its own popular vote goes.  And then I think
about how that would disenfrachise the folks who live in cities etc.. woops..

The I go back to nattering.

--
Jeff Kinz, Open-PC, Emergent Research,  Hudson, MA.  jkinz@kinz.org
copyright 2003.  Use is restricted. Any use is an