[linux-elitists] Handheld computer - as free as can be

Shawn McMahon smcmahon@eiv.com
Tue May 13 07:40:07 PDT 2003

On Tue, May 13, 2003 at 10:13:16AM -0400, Jeff Kinz said:

> hmm - My data shows that clinton got a much higher percentage of the popular
> vote then bush Sr.  Bush Sr  38%,  Clinton 43%,  Perot 19% (WOW!)

You aren't wrong.  But this doesn't refute what I said, which is that
Clinton won because he won the electoral college, not because of direct
popular vote, which has NEVER been how we decide these things.

BTW, Perot 19% is WOW!  Although I think he'd have made a lousy
President, it sure said a lot about the other candidates that he could
get such a high percentage.  We all thought it was a big deal when
Anderson got like 7%, and then this one came along.  Should have woken
more people up.  I believe the Libertarian candidate got their highest
vote ever that year, too.  Higher than Nader did in 2000, but the press
thought Nader's results were so amazing.

> But I vote, so I have the right to complain.  (natter natter matter... :-)

Sure; but claiming a man wasn't elected because the Supreme Court ruled
that the Constitution of the US and the Constitution of Florida had to
be followed is disingenous, and smacks of sour grapes.  It's a tired,
old, discredited argument, trotted out by left-leaning nattering nabobs
of negativity at every opportunity and frequently when there isn't an
opportunity, and I'm sick of it.

--
Shawn McMahon     | Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill,
EIV Consulting    | that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any