[linux-elitists] Handheld computer - as free as can be

Thu May 8 14:07:54 PDT 2003

On Thu, May 08, 2003 at 09:34:10AM -0700, Mister Bad wrote:

>     BF>   - Small form factor.  The main reason I liked the Palm V at
>     BF> the time it came out was the slimness compared to other
>     BF> then-contemporary machines.
>
> I'm actually looking for something _larger_ than a palmtop, but
> smaller than a notebook computer, which could be a replacement for
> both.

You can find new-model Liberettos from Toshiba in the Japanese market
and on eBay.  Unlike the gray boxes from the 90's, these have internal
wireless and somewhat decent keyboards.

Dunno about finding a US style keyboard, though.

Sony just released their PEG-NZ90, which has a professional-quality
camera (not a dinky CCD like on the picturebook):
http://sonyelectronics.sonystyle.com/micros/clie/

It also has internal bluetooth and supports a CF 802.11b card.  Dunno
about Linux support.

Viewsonic has a compact tablet PC with an internal camera and
wireless, but no keyboard.  It's a real PC, so it'll run Linux.

Older Jornadas can be reflashed to be run Linux, and they have a real
keyboard and CF slot and stuff.

For the ultimate in geek points and battery life, reflash a HP 200LX
to run minix or another real-mode unix.  You'll get a month's worth of
life out of a pair of AA batteries.  It's also got a full-size PCMCIA
slot, but rumor is wireless cards only work when it's on DC power
(although low-power wired ethernet cards work fine).

--
 - Jason                            Currently at: Somewhere on the Internet ()

"He's the kind of man for the times that need the kind of man he is ..."