[linux-elitists] Handheld computer - as free as can be

Rich Bodo rsb@ostel.com
Thu May 8 11:40:10 PDT 2003

On Thu, 8 May 2003, Joey Hess wrote:

> Greg KH wrote:
> > Hm, I have something a bit bigger, a Fujitsu Lifebook:
> > 	http://www.emperorlinux.com/piranha.html
> > 26cm x 17cm x 4cm
> >
> > Runs Linux great, wonderful battery life, and can watch dvds anytime I
> > want.  Also works great to sit down and type at and doesn't take up your
> > whole backpack at all.
> >
> > The EmperorLinux guys were pretty helpful too, turns out their price was
> > cheaper than the on-street price in Hong Kong was (and that was with
> > Windows only).  Getting a computer installed already with Linux on it,
> > and everything already tweaked properly for the hardware was a very
> > strange feeling.  Nice though, I could get used to it :)
>
> Hmm, I bought my lifebook direct from fujitsu last summer for $650 less
> than the slightly newer model shown there.
>
> It's surely the best linux laptop in its class right now. The only minor
> annoyances are the lack of a built-in microphone and the damned low
> battery beep from the BIOS (which starts here when I have about 1 hour
> of battery left and forces me to turn off the sound and music). Oh and
> the customary low receive sensitivity of the prism2 card. And it can
> only see the DVD drive if it boots with it in the bay. These are very
> minor annoyances though. Great machine.

For a microphone I recommend the Sony Dr-140 headset.  It makes a good
phone headset, and comes with an adapter from 2.5mm female headset to
3.5mm mic and speaker jacks for your sound card.

-Rich

--
Rich Bodo | rsb@ostel.com | 650-964-4678