[linux-elitists] Handheld computer - as free as can be

Alan DuBoff aland@SoftOrchestra.com
Thu May 8 10:58:28 PDT 2003

On Thursday 08 May 2003 10:18, Joey Hess wrote:
> I loved the old picturebook but cannot recommend the new one. The
> transmeta chip was the only good feature, but it still only got 2.5
> hours on battery. Camera is not supported yet AFAIK, ACPI might be
> better than it was when I tried it. But the main problem is that the
> hardware is absolute shite. After 3 returns for first a broken screen
> and then a broken keyboard (which, oddly, worked 100% ok under windows),
> I sold mine at a loss and bought a lifebook. I think he's looking for
> something a size smaller though.

That doesn't sound good at all. We had 3 Picturebooks which we used as
mini-servers on a previous project and they performed wonderful with Linux,
but were the older ones with the Pentium.

Odd thing about Sony laptops...about 90% of the people I've talked to who
have them are estatic over them, and the other 10% tell horror stories such
as yours. Scares me as 10% is quite high, IMO.

A close friend at Sony had mentioned to me that they did have problems when
they converted the chipset over, but your description sounds like a
nightmare, not "problems".<g>

--

Alan DuBoff
Software Orchestration, Inc.