[linux-elitists] Handheld computer - as free as can be

Joey Hess joey@kitenet.net
Thu May 8 10:18:04 PDT 2003

Alan DuBoff wrote:
> Sony Picturebook, although I'm not certain how the new one with Transmeta
> chip runs Linux, but since Linus is at Transmeta presumably it runs it
> well...:-/ The older one with Pentium ran it fine, and there's even a driver
> for the camera.

I loved the old picturebook but cannot recommend the new one. The
transmeta chip was the only good feature, but it still only got 2.5
hours on battery. Camera is not supported yet AFAIK, ACPI might be
better than it was when I tried it. But the main problem is that the
hardware is absolute shite. After 3 returns for first a broken screen
and then a broken keyboard (which, oddly, worked 100% ok under windows),
I sold mine at a loss and bought a lifebook. I think he's looking for
something a size smaller though.

--
see shy jo