[linux-elitists] Handheld computer - as free as can be

Ben Finney bignose@zip.com.au
Thu May 8 00:12:31 PDT 2003

Howdy all,

My Palm V is aging fast (the touchscreen is flaking out regularly),
after four years of heavy use.  This, combined with my recent change of
employment status (i.e. I now have some) means I'm in the market for a
new handheld computer.

What should an Elitist like myself be looking at for a replacement?

My wishlist:

  - Free software on the machine itself, if possible.  Probably this
    limits me to the Linux-based machines.

  - Free software for accessing it on a PC.  The range of free software
    tools available on GNU/Linux for PalmOS machines is impressive and
    has spoiled me.

  - Small form factor.  The main reason I liked the Palm V at the time
    it came out was the slimness compared to other then-contemporary
    machines.  Its leather case doubles as a wallet, and that's just as
    I like it -- one less thing to carry in my pocket.

  - Connectivity.  I see may people sticking USB and CF and other
    whatsits into their handhelds, and am getting envious.

  - Other things to look out for; I've been stuck in a time warp since
    1999 as far as these things are concerned.

I could rely on brochures and reviews for this, if it weren't for the
free software requirements.  Hence I turn to you.

--
 \          "Immorality: The morality of those who are having a better |
  `\                                       time."  -- Henry L. Mencken |