[linux-elitists] quote of the day

Jeff Kinz jkinz@kinz.org
Mon May 5 09:27:12 PDT 2003

On Mon, May 05, 2003 at 05:18:03PM +0100, Sean Neakums wrote:
> Ben Woodard <woodard@redhat.com> writes:
> > I heard McKusic go talk about the work that they had to go into to
> > prove what parts of BSD were not derived from Unix and it was an
> > extremely difficult process.
>
> But BSD was directly based on Unix until they rewrote the AT&T-owned
> code.  It is not currently a given that there is Unix code in Linux,
> whereas it was in the BSD case, which seems to place the onus of proof
> differently in each situation.

Morally perhaps, but in a civil court case isn't the burden of proof is
on the defendant?  (ie - presumed guilty until proven innocent?)

Just the opposite of a criminal case where the defendant is presumed
inncocent until proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt?

--
Jeff Kinz, Open-PC, Emergent Research,  Hudson, MA.  jkinz@kinz.org
copyright 2003.  Use is restricted. Any use is an