[linux-elitists] quote of the day

Ben Woodard woodard@redhat.com
Mon May 5 09:05:13 PDT 2003

On Sun, 2003-05-04 at 13:25, Seth David Schoen wrote:
> Don Marti writes:
>
> > I bet I could find that too.
> >
> > find /usr/src/linux/ -name *.c | xargs grep "University of California"
>
> grep -r "University of California" /usr/src/linux

Let's not be quite so hasty. Remember when MS financed that study saying
that IIS was faster than Linux and it turned out to be true.

I heard McKusic go talk about the work that they had to go into to prove
what parts of BSD were not derived from Unix and it was an extremely
difficult process.

Also there is likely to be quite a few cases where we have essentially
converging evolution. Legally proving that XYZ was an independent
development is going to be very challenging.

I'm glad that IBM has deep pockets and lots of lawyers.

-ben