[linux-elitists] Andrew Leonard Is A Gob-Waggling Dink

Mister Bad mr.bad@pigdog.org
Sun May 4 07:03:05 PDT 2003

    Me> Man, I love TI! They're such a hoot. While the rest of the
    Me> industry shit-canned part numbers about 15 years ago and
    Me> started selling "Gibberium II" and "Fellation IV Pro" chips,
    Me> they still have products like the TMS320LF2401A on the FRONT
    Me> PAGE of their Web site.

You know, I think there should be clever Jargon-file names for these
three activities:

    0) Responding to a message in some forum (newgroup or mailing
       list) that is ridiculously old because you are generally dippy
       and don't realize the thread is over.

    1) Responding to a message in some forum that is ridiculously old
       because you have a particular axe to grind and the forum you're
       responding to has marginally brushed on this subject in the
       distant past ("I've noticed that participants in
       rec.cars.chevrolet mentioned Esperanto back in 1994; I thought
       I'd take this opportunity to give some URLs and pronunciation
       guides.").

    2) Responding to a message in some forum that is ridiculously old
       for humorous effect; e.g., to mimic someone doing 0) or 1), to
       point out an opponent's hypocrisy, or to simulate time travel.

Someone call Eric Raymond.

I do like the fact that Don was able to dredge up a message that
slagged Texas Instruments and Andrew Leonard in one fell swoop. What's
Andrew Leonard doing these days, anyways? I heard they stopped payroll
at Salon.com.

    DM> "In a new application of the technology, Texas Instruments
    DM> provided its client with about 20,000 of the tags."

    DM> http://news.com.com/2009-1088_3-984352.html?tag=lh

Here's _my_ favorite quote:

       "For some reason, China's leaders seem to be shying away from
       additional publicity. 'We'd love to do a full-blown press
       release, case study, etc., but the (Chinese) Communist Party
       will not allow it at this time,' Allen said."

d00d! When the CHINESE COMMUNIST PARTY thinks their privacy invasion
has bad publicity repercussions, you might want to think twice about
issuing a press release.

Anyways, TI'd probably just issue another press release with a title
like these:

     "TI ADDS 500 MSPS, FLEXIBLE DAC TO ROBUST ANALOG PORTFOLIO FOR
     WIRELESS INFRASTRUCTURE APPLICATIONS"

SNX-X-X-X-X. Huh? What? I picture TI marketing people as being hired
from the control-room set of "Apollo 13." They probably all have
slide-rule hip-holsters. After all, these folks thought it was
necessary to protect their investment in "Real World Signal Processing
(TM)". SURE.

They really need to take a lesson from, like, INTEL, or APPLE, who
send out press releases like:

     "INTEL MAKES HUMANITY SING; BRINGS PEOPLE TOGETHER, MAKES GRANDMA
     SMILE WARMLY"

Anyways.

~Mr. Bad