Karsten M. Self kmself@ix.netcom.com
Thu Mar 27 16:23:34 PST 2003

on Wed, Mar 26, 2003 at 02:53:14PM -0800, Nick Moffitt (nick@zork.net) wrote:
> begin  Aaron Lehmann  quotation:
> > If you are comparing sizes, you should use gcc's -Os option, which
> > optimizes for size.
>
> 	-Os gained the LNX-BBC project a 2% increase in available
> space on the CD.  It's compressed data, so that's likely 3%-4% real
> data.

That statement bears validation.  Compression is nonadditive.  If the
optimization is independent of underlying data redundancy in the
compiled binary, I could see this being the case.  If it's not, you may
only be getting 2% space savings.

Peace.

    "You don't have to pretend to be interested in me you know," said
    Marvin at last, "I know perfectly well I'm only a menial robot."
    -- HHGTG